Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Emily Dickinson's "We Grow Accustomed to the Dark"

Below, I created an interactive/visual version of Emily Dickinson's We Grow Accustomed to the Dark. I don't think it needs a visual version, the words are enough, I just had the idea and wanted to explore it a bit.

We Grow Accustomed to the Dark

We grow accustomed to the Dark --
When light is put away --
As when the Neighbor holds the Lamp
To witness her Goodbye --

A Moment -- We uncertain step
For newness of the night --
Then -- fit our Vision to the Dark --
And meet the Road -- erect --

And so of larger -- Darkness --
Those Evenings of the Brain --
When not a Moon disclose a sign --
Or Star -- come out -- within --

The Bravest -- grope a little --
And sometimes hit a Tree
Directly in the Forehead --
But as they learn to see --

Either the Darkness alters --
Or something in the sight
Adjusts itself to Midnight --
And Life steps almost straight.

1 comment:

  1. I really like that video you found. That's pretty cool. Also, I totally agree with what you said about forcing poems to rhyme. There are so many other ways to make poetry. For me, the best poems just come out. I don't really control them or create them. I am merely a median for them, taking them from their divine conception and putting them into mundane existence.

    ReplyDelete